To Him who does all things well!
The Compton Avenue Church of Christ, which was originally known as 9512 Compton Avenue, is one of the oldest African American congregation on the West Coast.
The "9512 Congregation", as it was later commonly know, started in the early 1920's in the home of Brother and Sister Russell Arnold.
The house was located west of Compton Avenue on 109th Street. From this humble beginning and with Brother Amos L. Cassius as minister and evangelist, the 9512 Congregation moved to a location further east of 109th Street, near the railroad crossing at South Grandee Avenue.
The congregation grew in number and in the knowledge of the scriptures, and began to spread the Gospel throughout the community.
Through the vision and entrepreneurship of Brother Cassius, the property at 9512 Compton Avenue was purchased.
Brother Cassius designed the building and with the help of the brothers, constructed the edifice. On December 26, 1948, the building was dedicated to the Lord's work.
Our goal as a congregation is to continue the great work these soldiers of God started. In His power and by the guidance of His Holy Spirit our mission will be to make a difference in the lives of His church and our community!
In Him We Live!
Anthony W. Stokes Sr.
Compton Ave Church of Christ